Institute Dom Luiz/Associated Laboratory, University of Lisbon
One Post-Doctoral Grant (BPD) is open at the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, at the R&D project WILAS - West Iberia Lithosphere and Astenosphere Structure, PTDC/CTE-GIX/097946/2008, financed by national funds by FCT / MCTES (PIDDAC) under the “Program in all scientific domains”, under the following conditions:
1. Scientific Area: Earth and Space Sciences – Solid Earth Geophysics
2. Requirements for admission: PhD in Solid Earth Geophysics, Physics, Geology or related areas.
Experience with seismological processing software such as SAC, Seismic Handler or SEISAN is highly recommended. Experience in programming in the fields of Seismology/Geophysics and/or seismic data handling is also recommended. Experience of research in accordance with one of the areas stated in the work plan below is required.
Applications should include a cover letter outlining research experience and accomplishments, with specific reference made to the required and preferred preferences described above, together with the motivation to address the problems stated in the work plan.
3. Work plan: Within project WILAS, 30 BB seismic stations were deployed in Portugal, to complete the coverage provide by the Portuguese permanent network, following similar projects in Spain (TOPOIBERIA) or the USA (EarthScope). Thus, the complete set of BB recording stations in the period 2010-2012 rose to about 65 stations, with an average separation of 60-70 km. The main goal of the project is to obtain a 3D detailed seismic image of the “slice” of the Earth beneath W Iberia, the different scales involved requiring an assemblage of results from several tomographic methods. Thus, the applicant is expected to be able to obtain models through either of the following approaches and methods:
a) P and S receiver functions determined as functions of time and of back azimuth, to analyze the lithospheric deep structure discontinuities. Joint inversion of the P and S receiver functions to obtain an isotropic model of the earth’s medium beneath each seismic station. Application to the entire seismic network, to derive a “3D” model (Task 2).
b) Analysis of splitting of shear waves in the seismic phase SKS to analyze mantle seismic anisotropy beneath each station. Joint inversion of waveforms of SKS and of P receiver functions to calculate anisotropic model of the earth’s medium (Task 2).
c) Surface-wave coupled with body-wave teleseismic tomography for large scale Listosphere-Astenosphere structure (Task 4).
d) Local-Earthquake Tomography for fine structure of seismogenic areas and integration with ambient noise tomography for regional crustal structure (Tasks 3 and 4).
4. Legislation framework: Portuguese Law Nr. 40/2004, from 18 August (Research Grant Holder Statute); Regulation of Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources 2010.
5. Place of work: The work will be developed at Institute Dom Luiz/Associated Laboratory, University of Lisbon, Portugal, under the scientific supervision of Professor Nuno Afonso Dias and Professor Graça Silveira.
6. Fellowship duration: This position is open for 6 months and will begin until 1st July 2012. The grant contract may be renewed up to a maximum of 12 months.
7. Monthly allowance: The amount of the scholarship amounts to € 1495, according to table values of the scholarships awarded directly by the FCT, IP in the country (http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores, grants awarded to projects financed by FCT).
The Fellows will have a personal accident insurance and, if not covered by any social protection scheme can ensure the right to social security through adherence to voluntary social insurance scheme, pursuant to Decree-Law No º 40/89 of February 1
The scholarships will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
8. Selection method: Candidates will be assessed by the quality of their CV (70%), especially scientific merit, publications and research experience, and the motivation letter (30%). An interview may also be required upon selection committee decision. If none of the candidates fulfills the above criteria, the grant will not be opened.
9. Selection Committee: Prof. Nuno Afonso Dias (Chairman), Prof. Graça Silveira (member), Prof. Luís Matias (member). Supplementary member: Prof. Alexandra Afilhado.
10. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will become public, through ordered place list which will be posted at the entrance hall of the Fundação da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, located at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, C1 bdg – 3rd floor, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisboa, and the selected candidate will be notified by e-mail.
11. Deadlines: This call for applications is open from 14th to 26th May, 2012.
12. Application: Applications may be filed via e-mail to Nuno Dias (firstname.lastname@example.org), attaching the following documents: Curriculum vitae, with reference to ISI publications and indication of email; copies of degrees certificates and a Cover Letter indicating the candidate’s motivation for this position. All documents must be in pdf format.
Applications may also be sent by mail to Nuno Dias, IDL-Instituto Dom Luiz, Campo Grande, Ed. C8, 3rd floor, 1749-016 Lisbon, Portugal.
(disponível em www.eracareers.pt a 27-04-12)
[Se desejar manter-se informado sobre as oportunidades de emprego que surgem diariamente na área do Ambiente e Gestão de Recursos Naturais, siga a página "NaturJobs" que a Naturlink criou no Twitter em http://twitter.com/NaturJobs]
Promoções Naturlink e Clube Naturlink